Heart Care: How Far We Have Come
The evolution of the subspecialty of cardiology is widely considered being responsible for the greatest prolongation of life in industrialized nations. Advancements in science and technology coupled with the expertise of various medical experts in the field have contributed to a significant decrease in heart disease and heart-related conditions. Although heart disease continues to be a leading killer, the death rate by age and impact to population per capita during the 21st century is markedly less than during the 20th century. To learn more about cardiovascular care, OurHealth turned to two Richmond specialists.Be the first to comment! Read more...
Polly Smith has a career that many of us would envy. She is a judge at the most prestigious dog shows in the world, including the Westminster Kennel Club show in Madison Square Garden, NY. In her younger years, she showed horses. Later, she and her husband started breeding and showing Welsh Terriers, then Chow Chows. Read more..
If you’re one of the 50 million people in America who suffer from allergies, you most likely greet spring with equal parts delight and dread, pleasure and pain, sunbathing and sneezing. Read more..
Have you ever seen someone smile with their eyes? How about disguise pain with a laugh? It seems that there is always more to someone’s story than what you can see on the surface. Read more..
You’ve heard the phrase you are what you eat? Well, not literally, of course. But there is some truth to that cliché. We should seek nutritionally dense foods (the ratio of nutrients to calories) to gain the most benefits from our diet — protein to help promote building muscle, fiber to help regulate the digestive system and carbohydrates to provide energy. There are also some foods said to increase our metabolism and burn unwanted fat. Our food choices alone won’t... Read more..
Every new year is a new beginning, a chance to make positive changes in our behavior, lifestyle, choices and health. Making significant changes, though, is a big undertaking. It’s best to start small, and we all need help. So in that spirit, we’ve assembled 17 quick tips that we hope will make the job a little easier. These tips are not meant to be all-inclusive, obviously, but think of them as a tasting menu on your trip to good health. Read more..
Local Health Updates
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital Opens Adult Substance Abuse Partial Hospitalization Program
- Henrico Doctors’ Hospitals Named One of the Nation's 100 Top Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics, IBM Watson Health
- In Honor of National Healthcare Decisions Day, Local Non-profit Convenes Important Conversations
- Excellence in Medical-Surgical Nursing/2016 HCA Unit of Distinction Award Retreat Doctors’ Hospital Medical-Surgical Units Recognized for Nursing Excellence
- Sheltering Arms Rehab Institute Receives COPN Approval to Build New Hospital
- Crater Community Hospice Hosts Presentation on Senior Nutritional Health